Tuesday, October 16, 2012

C4T #2

In my C4T post 2 I was assigned to Mr. Anthony Capps, from Gulf Shores, Alabama. Mr. Capps teaches 3rd grade at Gulf Shores Elementary. Using his class blog, Third Grade with Mr. Capps, he is able to communicate with his students and their parents. In the first post I read, Mr. Capps informs the parents of the activities that took place that day. He is able to use his blog to inform them of the lesson’s that were taught, and how as a parent they can help their students continue to learn this information at home. Mr. Capps also uses his first post to inform parents of supplies that are needed within the classroom.

In my comment back to Mr. Capps I couldn’t help but express my amazement by the use of his blog. I guess it had never occurred to me that a blog would be a great way to communicate to and with parents. I noticed when leaving my comment several of his student’s parents had commented as well. What a concept!

In the second post I read of Mr. Capps he discusses the upcoming class spelling bee. In this post he gave several great ways to study for the spelling bee. First he said to write the words on note cards. Second he says you should separate the words into the words you know and the ones you don’t. These words can be separated by words you know the mean of and the ones you don’t, the words you can spell and the ones you can’t, etc. Third Mr. Capps says you need to practice, his advice was to start in front of a mirror and then move on to getting a friend or family member to quiz you. Lastly he says to try using the meaning of a word to help you remember how to spell it or by using other “like” words to help you remember how to spell it. He gives the example of telephone and teleport; both spelled using tele at the beginning.

In my comment back to Mr. Capps I once again couldn’t help but express my total amazement of the use of his blog. I was sure to tell him he had completely sold me on this concept and I will be using this as a form of communication with my future students and parents. I also told him thank you for sharing such great advice for learning to spell. I myself am a terrible speller and I was never given many ways of learning to spell aside from memorizing the word to pass the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment