Friday, October 12, 2012

Blog Assignment 7

The Networked Student

computer network
In the video, The Networked Studentby Wendy Drexler, Wendy addresses the concept of connectivism. She defines connectivism as the theory that learning occurs as a social network of many diverse connections and ties. Throughout this video she discusses how a student with no textbook and a teacher who doesn’t lecture can learn about psychology. Wendy says that by teaching the student to build a personal learning network the student will be able to take charge of his/her own learning.

I must admit at the beginning of this semester I would have thought this was an absurd concept, but after taking part in EDM310 I can see the benefits of this type of learning. By teaching students to find valid websites to gather information, to use their iPods to listen in on top professors around the world, and teaching students how to sift through and organize the massive amounts of information available students will be able to build their own textbook. The difference is this textbook the student has built will contain the most up to date information, and will be built on the students’ knowledge.

I think this is a great way for students to learn. I know I personally am more likely to retain the information I learned if I have to go out and find it. I can especially see this to be a very useful way of teaching for higher level students. I think the concept of connectivism learning is a great way to eliminate the burp back way of learning.

A 7th Grader’s Personal Learning Environment

In this video, A 7th Grader’s Personal Learning Environment, a 7th grader shares how her science class is taught using no paper. She tells how her PLE is all placed together neatly on her computer so she can easily access whatever information she needs. I personally think I can take a few notes from her. I do have my information bookmarked to my favorites bar, but after watching this video I will be checking into a way to have everything more neatly put together in one place. I will also be looking for the note taking program she is using. I currently use the old fashion way of writing it down on a sheet of paper, which from time to time get lost. In comparing my PLN to her PLE I would say this 7th grader probably has it together more than I do. I am generally a very organized person, but after watching this video I have realized I am not using the technology I have available to me to best benefit me.

3 comments:

  1. "...the massive amounts of information available students will be able..." You need a comma after available.

    No more burp back education!

    Symbaloo is the program the 7th grader used.

    Well done.



    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO WINDY, YOUR POST WAS GREAT. YOU HAVE MEET THE REQUIREMENTS FOR A BLOG POST. DR. STRANGE HAS POINTED OUT YOUR ERRORS SO I DO NOT NEED TO COMMENT ABOUT THAT. I REALLY THING ITS IMPORTANT TO TEACH KIDS HOW TO USE TECHNOLOGY THE RIGHT WAY. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Windy,

    I thought you did a really good job on your blog post! I agree with you that learning information on your own helps you retain it better. Relying off of a teacher to lecture information is far less effective than learning it on my own. The only mistake I saw besides what Dr. Strange pointed out is adding a space between ""Studentby". Obviously, this is a minor mistake that could be easily fixed by proofreading before you post. Keep up the good work!

    --Sara

    ReplyDelete